Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Storytime - Mittens!

Storytime Tuesday!  My topic is mittens, apropos since there's a good foot of snow on the ground.  The official title is really "Mittens for Kittens - And Boys and Girls, Too."  But today, it was only boys at my storytime, go figure!  I'm doing it tomorrow too at another branch so we'll see on the turn out.  We sort of expect a bit more than usual because of the school kids coming, but then our regulars are busy and didn't come out as they usually do.

Nevertheless, it was lots of fun, and here are the books I read.  I started with Knitty Kitty by David Elliot:


Then I read A Hat for Minerva Louise by Janet Morgan Stoeke:















Then I read The Mitten by Jan Brett:

















And finally, I read The Missing Mitten Mystery by Steven Kellogg:















I did some songs and fingerplays too - "Where oh where did my blue mitten go?" (and old, and new, etc.), and the kids "retold" the story The Mitten with animal pictures and a song to the tune of "The Farmer in the Dell."  Initially it was more of a solo endeavor, but by the end, some of the boys were singing, too.
I'm doing Winter Wonderland next week (snowmen, penguins, polar bears, and hockey) and the week after, I think I'm doing blankies and quilts if I can find enough books.

But for now, I have to go find books to return - my library doesn't have a limit, and I brought my 16-year old to the library today and he checked out a bundle, and with my own bundle, I now have over 50 books checked out.  Eeeeek! 

No comments:

Post a Comment