Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to school - and back to storytime!

Today was a marvelous day as I did my first preschool storytime for a long time.  It could *not* have been better.  What a great group of kids, and only in school for three days!  They sat so well, and I was able to do a whole half-hour storytime with them!  I'm doing it again on Friday with three-year olds, but I might make it a little shorter.

Here was the fun!  Books are in italics, songs or fingerplays are in quotations.

"Good morning" sung to the tune of "Happy Birthday."  (Good morning to you / good morning to you / good morning dear preschool / good morning to you.)


If You Take a Mouse to School by Laura Numeroff

"1-2 buckle my shoe"

Late for School by Stephanie Colmenson

"Two little houses all closed up tight"


The Seals on the Bus by Lenny Hort

“The Wheels on the Bus”



Clifford Goes to Dog School  by Norman Bridwell


Book! Book! Book! by Deborah Bruss

“The More We Get Together”

 I gave them a sheet to take home with a reminder that September is Library Card Month.  Go get your kids a library card!

I do need to get some better material as far as songs go.  It went pretty well, but I need to get a CD with children's music that is pretty straightforward (rather than the Raffi concert CD that I have, which includes a lot of banter with the crowd).  Any ideas?
This is the best job in the world!

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend 100 Toddler Favorites--good for older kids, too, because it has lots of childhood classics.

    Everything Frances England has recorded is wonderful. I listen to her music even when I'm not with children. I love her and would be a groupie if I lived in California.

    If you like songs that invite movement or drama:

    "Canadian Snacktime Trilogy ii: Popcorn" by the Barenaked Ladies from their album Snacktime (yes, it's really a children's album). We act like popcorn at my library when we listen to this one!

    Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes by the Wiggles--their version is the best!

    "Up and Down" from Outside Voices by the Pop-Ups.

    I'm sure I'll think of others when I'm at work tomorrow and see my storytime playlists, so I'll post again if any of this is helpful.

    Have fun, Christine!

    ReplyDelete