Friday, June 8, 2012

Smile by Raina Telgemeier

For my first book, I read Smile by Raina Telgemeier.  It took me 30 minutes.  47.5 hours to go!


I knew nothing of this book other than it was very popular with my students.  I might have known it was a graphic novel, too, which explains part of the popularity - I've been building the graphic novel collection and the students are really digging that.  I was surprised that this was a graphic novel memoir (took me awhile to realize that, actually), and that it focused so much on teeth!  Considering that, it surprises me how popular it is at my school.  Don't get me wrong, it's a cute book - I really like the animation - and I plan to buy it for the junior high, too.  But if a graphic novel that is cataloged under Girls -- Dental care is very popular at the elementary, I think my students are super hungry for graphic novels!  Since it connected so well with the students, and since the animation is so fun, I'll check out what else Telgemeier has written.




No comments:

Post a Comment